The old guild website(s)

Open discussion
Jarrington
Site Admin

The old guild website(s)

Post by Jarrington » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Since I wrote all that custom code myself and haven't maintained it in years, I decided to take the old websites down as they were a security risk to the server. The spambots had figured out how to post on my forums, so it's just as well.

Anyway -- since seeing Everquest Next, I decided to resurrect the site. I'm sure everyone's long disappeared, but who knows.

Valandil

Re: The old guild website(s)

Post by Valandil » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Not sure everyone has disappeared just yet 8^)

Would it be possible to get a forum dump of the TC forums?

Valandil

Post by Valandil » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:08 pm

posting again I think my last post went into the ether.

Not everyone has disappeared 8^)

Any chance I could get a forum dump of the old boards? Or the whole thing and I'll host it local. Lots of old memories in there.

Jarrington
Site Admin

Post by Jarrington » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Bah apparently I misconfigured the forums to require post approval. I'll have to fix that.

I actually still have all the code and SQL data. It'd be fairly easy to dump it. Maybe I'll figure out this phpbb schema, and write some sql script to transfer all the old posts to these new forums...

Valandil

Post by Valandil » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:37 am

Jarrington wrote:It'd be fairly easy to dump it. Maybe I'll figure out this phpbb schema, and write some sql script to transfer all the old posts to these new forums...

Cool cool. Thanks man.

Jarrington
Site Admin

Post by Jarrington » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 pm

There you go man, the $25 conversion package. This time with better html interpretation.

Valandil

Post by Valandil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:53 am

Hahaha holy crap man, that is great.

Agusta

Post by Agusta » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Hey Bud, I finally got around to loggin in and have been reading when I should be in bed!

A few of these posts brought back some great memories! Do you still have the old screenshots from the true old / golden days of the Company back when names like Ricin, Bozco, Agusta, Kayfess, Mashman, Weir'leader, Trizillia, Palar, Dartavian and Samdarii were around? Aaaaa just saying those names brings back such fond memories.

I doubt not many people know or knew that the several of us, the 'core' players that started The Company, played together online as "Black Company" almost 5 years before I conned them into playing EQ with me :lol: We were top players and a top squad in Subspace way back in 1995 and that mentality of outstanding teamwork and communication transferred right over to EQ. 20+ years later and I still keep in touch with several of them on a regular basis. It's a shame those 'really' old posts and screenshots are no longer around. I should dig through my old CD's and see if I have any of that old stuff.

It was great to see the old / original charter - it really represented what we were all about when I started The Company. I'm proud of what we accomplished with such a smaller guild of more casual players vs an uber guild like Vanguard. Quality certainly beat quantity back then.

I LOL'd when I read this post of yours "Jarr was born June 16, 1999. I was the 2nd guildleader of TC for about 5mins (Dom is actually the 3rd GL, betcha all didn't know that!) when I helped Agusta transfer leadership from his original rogue (Polar Braveling) to his pally Agusta, whom he also created on June 16. Of course back then, he told me "HIE's have great wis but crappy str, so put your 20pts into STR" ... sigh. " That kind of thing (me telling you to put your points into STR LOL) hints at what made EQ so special back then. There was nothing telling you how to play the game, or what was where back then, or maps, unlike games today. You either explored of tried to figure it out yourself, or someone showed you in game. There was no easy mode like there is in todays MMO's and games. Now you can go to youtube and learn a fight by watching others who already perfected it. I can't see how in today's environment there could ever be new game that brought that kind of feeling of unknown / challenge / excitement like EQ did. I remember the excitement and worry of helping an entire raid of people get their gear back from failed Fear raids, while risking you yourself being in the same position as they were by trying it. The ultimate for me was being the first on the server to take down the Maestro and then the first God on our server, with no instructions or help from anyone. I saw someone mentioned that the old crew 'thought' Weir'leader was the best puller on the server, and he absolutely was. He was a little unstable but man Daniel knew how to play a monk. I also remember discovering Sol A when there were a handful of people on the server who even knew it existed. Jboots, and actually having a GM roleplay giving my characters their surname when I hit level 20 (if I remember correctly). It really was an amazing game back then.

Thanks again for putting this back up, I am really enjoying reminiscing about the good 'ol days :)

On a side note, the guild I played my rogue with for quite a while after leaving the company, Clan Ta'Veren, http://www.clantaveren.org/ is still going strong in EQ. How wild is that? Many of the same people I played with back then are still playing! Amazing....

Agusta

Post by Agusta » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:50 pm

So I went through a few CD's of backups and stuff and found screenshots of our first / server first Maestro kill and Innoruuk kill, a screenshot from the first time I zoned into Fear, our first Nagafen kill, when I got Agusta Fiery Defender, all sorts of good stuff that brought back awesome memories.

I also found a lot of Company stuff that pre-dated EQ, like the Black Company Subspace forums we had set up 4-5 years before EQ even started. I found screenshots of the UO Alpha when Phillip went PK and had 20 people trying to hunt him down while I was on the phone with him telling him where the mob was.

I wonder what other gems I can find in my old data :) I may need to put this stuff online so the early TC and and BC crew can check it out...

-Agusta